So today has been the day everyone jumps on the Trump bandwagon and everyone has been thinking of what relevant content they can put out there that includes Trump-isms, Trump observations and learns from his rise from rich joke to Leader of the Free world.
Being a recruiter, the theme seems to be around, “Trump becoming President of the USA is the reason why you should go for that job, even if you don’t have the relevant experience”, or “Set your sights high, as you never know how far you can get”. As well intentioned as they are, (and I do agree to an extent, more so with the second point), its just feels like content crow-barred in to take advantage of the exposure.
So I won’t resort you to any of that………..
Who am I kidding?? But I want to use his example to make some more accurate, insightful and potentially life-changing observations that may just help you secure that next role!?!?!! *
If we are to take any learns from the last 18 long, arduous (but sometimes funny) months, then it’s the following:
- When interviewing for a new job, don’t concentrate on what you can bring to the role, that’s a waste of time and effort. Just attack the other interviewees and even the interviewing panel (consider claiming that they are rapists, fascists etc). Just follow Donalds example, “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending the best. They’re not sending you, they’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bring crime. They’re rapists… And some, I assume, are good people.”
- When creating your CV, don’t bother relying on facts, just make things up that sound good. Donald shows you how its done, “An ‘extremely credible source’ has called my office and told me that Barack Obama’s birth certificate is a fraud”
- Dress code for interviews is still important- might I suggest a suit, open shirt, but topped off with a nice baseball cap?
- Don’t be afraid of making huge claims of what you can achieve once you get the role, because by the time they realise you can’t deliver on it, you’ll already be in the role and they’re stuck with you and will have to deal with it, or pay you off. Donald didn’t fully commit to this during his campaign, and avoided too much detail about what he would actually do, well, other than……
- If interviewing with a member of the opposite sex, don’t think twice about grabbing them in the crotch- they love it….apparently!?!?!
I think its safe to say that everyone will probably take something from that little list, and we’ll see the unemployment rate across the whole world drop by 237% within 3 minutes. It helps that I know all the best words, I suppose.
The next blog will be equally appropriately themed- I’ll publish it in about a month and will be covering the topic of, “What to do when you realise you have made a hideous hire!”
*N.B. Please take no heed of any of these points- I feel it necessary to state this, as there are people out there who voted for Trump to be POTUS, so it is feasible that some people may follow my advice and (in this case at least), would be very very bad! 😉